How old is Ellery?

baby

How old is Madison?

baby

Friday, March 28, 2008

Thoughts and nonsense

So I've been observing some absolutely absurd human behavior lately in the great capital city of Austin that I wanted to share with you all.  These have actually become so annoying that I now laugh!
First of all, I work in a high-rise building downtown where I have to take 2 elevators to get to my office.  One from the parking garage to the lobby and then one from the lobby to the 8th floor.  Prior to using so many elevators everyday, I subconsciously followed the simple rule of letting people ON the elevator off prior to getting on myself.  Right?  I thought this was an unspoken rule of society.  Oh not so fast.  I am floored everyday how many people run me over trying to get on the elevator before I have gotten off.  What, are they afraid the doors are going to close and leave without them??  Ahh.  This is so annoying.  I have become such a champion for elevator etiquette that I exaggerate my wait time prior to getting on the traveling box, hoping that others around me will notice.  This has been going on for months with no results, so I am about to post signs and hold a training class for all 22 floors of people in the building. 

Secondly, one of the perks of living in South Austin is our proximity to downtown.  I have numerous North/South streets to choose from to avoid the highways.  This saves time and keeps the drive more interesting, except for this one annoying obstacle.  Jay-walkers!  Yes, I am astounded everyday with the number of people that choose to risk their life and cross in the MIDDLE of the block instead of walking the extra 50 yards either way to cross at a light with a crosswalk.  The best is when there is a clearing on one side of the street but not the other, so they stand in the middle of the street waiting for the traffic to clear.  What?!?  These are major thoroughfares that are quite busy during 'rush hour'.  I would try to carry the torch for this public education, but most of the individuals I observe would not understand my English.  So....either study more Spanish or give it up I guess.

Finally, Texas is hilarious.  Sometimes I stop in my tracks and really cannot believe I actually live here.  It has taken almost 4 years for me to figure this place out, but one thing I know for sure is that people who live here love Texas and there are so many things that are uniquely Texas.  Everyday I walk into offices of co-workers or clients and sit at desks that 75% of the time have some type of Texas business card holder.  Usually this is some kind of Star of Texas, cowboy, or bluebonnet thing.  The other day I met a new associate who's card holder was a full circle with the star of texas holding his cards in the middle.  This thing was at least 4 or 5 inches high.  Another aspect of doing business in Texas is client entertainment.  These are not dinners at the club or tee times on Friday afternoon.  No, they're hunting trips.  No joke, my boss (the Regional President) has a ranch and frequently takes clients duck hunting.  A few weeks ago I walked in and passed him and our wealth client manager in jeans & hunting shirts.  "Off to meet so & so to win a big deal."  Wow - are there spa days for the women-owned businesses?  I want to know!  

No comments: