How old is Ellery?

baby

How old is Madison?

baby

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Reflections of a new mom.....

Well, we went for Madison's 2 week check-up today and we were pleased to find out she is right on pace, or even ahead in some cases such as her weight. She has gained almost a pound since birth! She now weighs 7 lbs 13 oz (birth weight was 6 lbs 15 oz) and has gained a 1/4 inch (19.5) in length. I was assured to know that breast feeding is obviously going well and she is thriving.

The doctor answered a few of our questions, like why does she seem to screem every night from 30 mins to 2 hours...? Oh, that's normal, colic......and there's not a textbook answer solution, just do what comforts her. And, it will go away in a few months.....great, that sounds like fun! :) Last night the screeming was limited to 30 mins....which was great! She slept more upright in her carseat all night and had several doses of organic "Gripe Water", which seems to calm her upset tummy. And so it goes.......

In other thoughts, I realizing what a blessing it is to have an infant. Not just in the obvious aspects of bearing offspring and what that means from an emotional connection, etc. My thoughts are more selfish I guess. Having an infant in the house makes me (us) slow down. We physically can't dart out the door in a moments notice or sustain hours of errands and other somewhat meaningless tasks. I also have to sit down with her every 2-3 hours for her to eat for 20-30 minutes. What a blessing!!! I don't think I've ever allowed myself to sit that much before in my life without a huge "purpose", but I'm learning what a purpose and privledge it is to feed Madison. I well up with pride when she has a good feeding, when she is so calm and relaxed at the doctor's office, when she only fusses for 30 minutes at night, when she raises her head up and holds it for a few seconds, and the list goes on!

Besides experiencing the endless rewards and challenges of a wonderful marriage, I don't think I've ever been this satisified or content in my life. Now I understand everything my mom has ever said to me about raising children.

We are so blessed - I don't have adequate words to describe how God has blessed us with this new responsibility. We can't wait for Madison to grow up and realize the great love of our Father and how he cared for her from the moment she was conceived.

Here is another picture of a pretty new dress from Aunt Susie and Uncle Phil. They also just sent a darling handmade purple sweater from their travels in Canada that would go great with this dress. Unfortunately, based on the temperature and our previous post about too many clothes on the poor girl, we decided to wait until fall to model the cute purple sweater.

No comments: